Monday, July 30, 2007

The Beauty of Photo Retouching

First of all, I wanted to thank the beautiful model for allowing me to use her photo as an example of how retouching a photo works. I did not take the picture, but it was a great shot to use as an example. The Before/After photo is located at the end of this article.

This is low resolution image (72 ppi) I got online and was very proud of the out come. I took this as a challenge because, if I could take a low resolution photo and make it look nice... just imagine the results of working on a hi-resolution image (300 ppi or better) would look like. Below are some of the basic steps that I did to the image. Of course they were much more detailed, but I just wanted to touch on the basics.... Here we go.

-The first thing I did was made some color corrections to the photo to reduce the blow-out areas in the models face.

-Then I made global changes too the image itself to enhance the over-all look of the photo.

-Once the over-all image took on the appearance that I was pleased with, then I concentrated on the retouching itself. For example; removing blemishes, wrinkles, reducing "not deleting...very important" freckles to keep the model looking natural! Applying foundation, darkened her lipstick, etc.

As you can tell, the model is naturally beautiful, so she did not need much work at all. What I did as a photographic artist was enhance her natural beauty by applying digital make-up that smooths out the skin given her a flawless make-over. In other words, it looks like she applied her make-up on "flawlessly" the way you often see in a magazine. Yes, this type of work can take the photographic artist a little time to complete (depending on the complexity of the image), and can cost you a little bit of money (no you don't have to take out a loan...lol!), but the finished look is well worth every penny!

Here is the secret to digital retouching. When retouching a subject, try to make the person look as natural as possible. Now of course, this will depend on "the purpose of the photo." This example would do fine for a story inside of a magazine that you read, but if I was hired to retouch this photo for a "magazine cover"...then my approach would be totally different. But at the end of the day, it would be up to the client as to how "retouched" they wanted to look. So for me, as a rule of thumb, I keep it natural looking and go from there.

Later this week, come back and I will show you the difference when retouching a hi-resolution photo that could be on a magazine cover would look like. You know, that "flawless cover magazine look" that makes you go wow...they are soooooo beautiful!

If you have a photo you want me to retouch, email me and we'll make a connection.

Chris


Click on the image to get a bigger view of photo.


No comments: